Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Distinguished Diplomats

Good evening all I hope
that you had a good long
weekend me I am so glad
that it is over every year
now sence 2001 I get a
bad case of the Blues
Memorial Day 2001 was
when I lost my father so
till after fathers day I get
a bad case of those of
missing daddy blues.

Ok now all I would like
to ask for you help with
something a post I would
like to put together for
fathers day now I not
talking about any
Founding Father's.
send me any photos of
stamps you might have
or just let me know about
them when I have done
a Google search for
postage's stamps about
dad's I find more info
about the person photo
stamps that one can buy
now with there own photos
on them as a collector I don't
think I would ever want any
of these stamps.

and now the US Post Office
is going to let Companies
use there CO logo on stamps
they are doing something like
a test run with this you can
bet I will be on the look
out for some of these
logo stamps and from what
I have read about this some
far I be leave that the same
CO that one can order there
own photos stamps will be
the one's that will be doing
the logo stamps.

I am sure that Zalles stamps
will give them a bid discounte
on there satmps becasue they
will be making big order at one
time more then any singel
person could order a set for
last year when postage was
still just 37¢ a sheet of 20
stamps was $17.00 to
$ 20.00 the price veard
from site to site but still in my
book $17 to $ 20 buck is a
lot to pay out for something
that you could buy for $7.40
but that is just me.

Ok now a bit about the above
set of stamps.

For the fourth time in
as many days,
the US Postal Service
held a First Day of Issue
Ceremony before a huge crowd
at the Washington 2006
World Philatelic Exhibition with
the release on Tuesday, May 30
of the six Distringuished
American Diplomats Stamps.
The Master of Ceremonies,
USPS Executive Director for
Stamp Services
David E. Failor,
Washington 2006
Technology Committee Chairman
Nicholas G. Carter,
as well as remarks from
the Dedicating Official,
USPS Board of
Governors Chairman
James C. Miller III;
Connecticut Cong.
Robert Simmons (R-2nd);
and family members of the
six diplomats who appear
on the stamps.

The six diplomats on the new
stamps include Frances E. Willis,
the first U.S. woman to achieve
the title of Career Ambassador;

Clifton R. Wharton, Sr.,
the first African-American
Foreign Service Officer;

Philip C. Habib,
a Lebanese-American
whose service included being
Ambassador to South Korea
and UnderSecretary of
State for Political Affairs;

Soviet Union expert
Charles E. Bohlen,
who served as
American Ambassador
to the USSR,
the Philippines and France;

and Robert D. Murphy,
whose service included assisting
with the takeover of French
North Africa during
World War II,
serving as America's first post-war
Ambassador to Japan,

Ambassador to Belgium and
Undersecretary of State for
Political Affairs.

But it was the sixth diplomat,
Hiram Bingham IV,
who was the focus of Cong.
Simmons' remarks.

Bingham served as American Vice
Consul in Marseilles, France
in 1940 and 1941,
follwing the fall of France.
Bingham, who disregarded official
State Department policy,
issued visas and false passports
to Jews and other refugees,
and is credited with saving more
than 2,000 people from the Nazis,
including artist Marc Chagall,
Nobel Prize-winning chemist
Otto Meyerhoff and historian
hannah Arendt.

Cong. Simmons said of Bingham,
"He knew it
(the policy of the State Department)
was wrong and worked
the only way he knew.
He was not willing to
compromise his values."

Happy Stamping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home